There are very few companies that make loudspeakers for commercial movie theaters as well as home cinemas. JBL is one such brand, and their JBL Synthesis range represents their state-of-the-art components and loudspeakers for a dedicated home theater space.
A complete JBL Synthesis home theater system includes in-wall or stand-alone loudspeakers and subwoofers, amplifiers, preamps and surround sound processors. Depending on the configuration, a complete JBL Synthesis home theater system can range from $10K to $250,000.
The Synthesis subwoofer models are all passive designs requiring external amplification and that adds an additional expense to any home theater system.
When the new JBL Synthesis SDA-1700 Class D subwoofer amplifier starts shipping soon, customers will have a more affordable entry point.
The “entry-level” (not really) JBL Synthesis subwoofer/amp combo will set you back $2,420.
Priced at $1,320, the SDA-1700 provides a 2RU rack mountable amplifier solution designed to power the JBL Synthesis SSW-4 dual 8-inch in-wall passive subwoofer ($1,100) — delivering 350W to a single SSW-4 or 700W to a pair.
Tip: The SDA-1700 can also be used with systems using the JBL C82W In-wall Subwoofer.
The SDA-1700 includes convenient front-panel volume control, while the rear-panel controls include crossover, phase, single-band PEQ (Parametric Equalizer), and module EQ (Equalizer). The rear panel controls allow for fine-tuning by custom installers.
SDA-1700 Core Features
- Low distortion and Low noise.
- Short-circuit Protection.
- Over-temperature compensation.
- Signal sensing for automatic turn-on and turn-off.
- One set of analog audio inputs.
- Two dual banana-compatible speaker connections.
- Housed in a 2RU chassis, the unit ships with rack ears for mounting in traditional enclosure racking systems.
- Amplifier Type: Class D
- Power Output: (RMS) 700 Watts @ 4 ohms, (Peak Power) 1500W
- Rated Impedance: 8 Ohms
- Low Pass Crossover Range: 50-150Hz
- THD+N at Rated Output Power: < 1%
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio to 1W: > 65dBA
- EQ1 Settings: Specific for JBL Synthesis SSW-4 In-wall Subwoofer
- EQ2 Settings: Specific for JBL C82 In-wall Subwoofer
- Dimensions (HDW): 3.50 x 11.04 x 17-inches (88.90 x 280.3 x 431.8 mm)
- Weight: 14 lbs (6.35Kg)
From Jim Garrett, Senior Director, Product Strategy and Planning, HARMAN Luxury Audio: “With its dedicated equalization and protection circuitry, the SDA-1700 provides installers with a tailor-made, lower-cost solution for optimizing the performance of SSW-4 in-wall subwoofer modules. Furthermore, the amplifier pairs perfectly with an SDR-38 AVR used to power our SCL series architectural loudspeakers in a complete JBL Synthesis home theater system.”
Availability & Pricing
The JBL Synthesis SDA-1700 is available for a manufacturer-suggested retail price of $1,320 via Authorized JBL Synthesis dealers.
Other compatible products available through Authorized Dealers include:
For more information: jblsynthesis.com
Theory Audio Design Unveils Next Generation Amplified Loudspeaker Controllers: CEDIA 2022
Theory Audio Design’s Iws12-6 & Iws12-9 In-Wall Subwoofers Are Going To Shake Your Foundation: CEDIA 2022
Pro Audio Technology’s SR-2408iw Loudspeakers Deliver Big Sound In Tight Quarters – CEDIA 2022
Origin Acoustics Announces New Speakers And Subwoofers: CEDIA 2022
See More New Products from CEDIA 2022